Tuesday, May 26, 2015

I Admit It, I’m a “Helicopter Parent” to My Pups and I’m Not Alone…Recent Research Suggests This May Be a Good Thing…


Researchers Reevy and Deldago, conducted a national survey of 1098 pet owners to learn more about the human-pet bond.  They measured their participants’ personality types, attachments to their pets (e.g., My pets and I have a very special relationship, My pet means more to me than my friends do)  and whether they identified as a “Cat Person” (19%)  a “Dog Person” (38.4%) “Both” (38.6%) or “Neither” (3.5%).  The majority of the participants lived with their favorite pet. 

The results were not surprising.  They found that high rates of neuroticism (negative emotions such as depression and anxiety) were positively associated with affection and anxious attachment with their pets, characteristics that while not ideal in human parenting, may be a positive thing for pets who need life-long caring.  Conversely, they found that people who rated high on avoidant attachment (less affectionate and more withdrawn) were less likely to be cat and dog lovers.  This is good news for dogs and cats, most of whom crave our love.  I know Pippi and Pago, my Schipperkes demand constant attention. 
This research supported previous studies one of which showed that dog owners tend to be more extroverted but less open to new experiences and cat owners tend to be more neurotic and also more creative and adventurous.  Reevy and Delgado plan to dive into these issues deeper in the future.
If you would like to read the entire article, click here  

No comments:

Post a Comment